Blogs > Sleeping with CPAP

Assistant News Editor Lee Dryden was diagnosed with sleep apnea and uses a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine to assist with breathing while sleeping. From a layman’s point of view, he will discuss the benefits, issues, challenges and frustrations of sleeping while wearing a mask.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Determined to sleep

  After receiving a warning from my doctor about not sleeping enough — and possibly not meeting insurance guidelines for continuing my CPAP therapy — sleep became my mission.
  Anytime I wanted to sleep, no matter how crazy my schedule was, I fought it off until I was able to go to bed while wearing my mask.
  I religiously checked the statistics kept by my CPAP machine. Among the numbers are days with more than 4 hours of sleep and average time slept over 7- and 30-day periods.
  Ensuring I kept my numbers up meant the machine went with me on a couple of summer vacations and searching for a place to set it up in hotels and a motorhome. The whole system is more portable than it may seem as it fits neatly into a bag.
  Apparently traveling with a CPAP via air is allowed but it requires a doctor’s note to get through security. Haven’t attempted that yet.
  By the time I went to the doctor about three months after my previous visit, my stats were in line with where I was supposed to be. My doctor was happy (even his staff was happy) especially since the data proved I didn’t take any nights off.
  I felt a sense of accomplishment that I improved from last time but the journey isn’t over as this is now part of my life. It really does get easier as it becomes more routine.
  I do feel more rested. Like most of us with busy lives, I still don’t get enough sleep and maybe I never will. But the sleep I do get is of greater quality. It’s easier to wake up and I don’t find myself falling asleep at inappropriate times (well, except at the movies, I can’t seem to avoid the $10 naps).

1 Comments:

Blogger liamjoker said...

I like the tone of your writing. Can you talk a little more about what the pap does and how it works? Maybe give some background on how you felt before?

November 3, 2011 at 6:48 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home