Blogs > Sleeping with CPAP

Assistant News Editor Lee Dryden was diagnosed with sleep apnea and uses a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine to assist with breathing while sleeping. From a layman’s point of view, he will discuss the benefits, issues, challenges and frustrations of sleeping while wearing a mask.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Using CPAP when sick?

  Quick question for everyone in the CPAP universe: Are your numbers off when you are sick?
  I've had a cold for more than a week and my average number of breathing interruptions per hour is up over 4.0 when it is usually in the 1.0 range. There's also a category for periodic breathing that registered 1 percent this week after being 0 since I've had my machine.
  This is really frustrating but logical when considering that congestion hinders breathing. A sore throat certainly can be a factor when dealing with the airway.
  This happened when I was sick on another occasion but the stats didn't go up as much.
  So I'm curious to hear if you have struggled with this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am using CPap, then BiPAP since 11-2012 and have had only one cold. It was a doozey and I was unable to use the thing for about 3 days. This was last December.

July 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home